Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Terrain Diagram Series #1: Scaffolding Alfa


Meet Scaffolding Alfa!

She is built out of hobby store balsa wood and a variety of BBQ skewers I was able to pick up at the grocery store. One brand from Safeway's had this thicker section to it but I decided to embrace it's oddity and use it to make a raised platform.

I used alot of super glue and a spacing block that I had laying around (Small Chunk of 4" x 4" cut to around 2" long) to fit the two platforms together while lashing with heavy thread. I love how Alfa looks but it was a pain in the butt to put together with tying all the knots. I know I am terrible at tying them so I always super glue them underneath to keep them from coming undone. I was supposed to do a full double cross at back for bracing but I only placed a single one and I am happy enough with it. I am glad I built Alfa and started with it first as I am unsure how many more I will make of this model for my table.





Important Note: Wipe up all the excess superglue and try to glue it in places out of sight as the glue stops the stain from doing its job and will likely require a bit of paint to sharpen up. Also I used a coffee color stain and it turned out well but the balsa wood is so soft it soaks up all the stain like a sponge so be prepared to wipe of the excess quickly with a paper towel unless you are going for the dark look I wanted here.

The only reason I am using balsa wood is it is winter time and much too cold to tablesaw outside here. Also I differed from my prints in that I decided to go with two planks of wood butted up against each other instead of using the square skewer. Either or would look great.





Lastly I wanted to leave everyone with sneak peek of future content for the Terrain Diagram Series. Personally I am trying to make items suitable for Frostgrave that are mostly detailed accessories and not full on buildings themselves. I will leave buildings to the much more capable folks at Tabletop World.


No comments:

Post a Comment